XVIII CENTURY CHAPPEL RENOVATION | SAINT THOMAS CHURCH | VALENCIA
Client: SAINT THOMAS PARISH CHURCH
Approximate budget: 80.000 €
In 2010 the Parish of Saint Thomas in Valencia commissioned the restoration of the 18th Century chapel which is inside of the Church to bioGraphica, which is part of the Spanish heritage. The proposal was aimed to target two complementary goals. The first one was to adapt the existing arrangement of the space in order to match the post Second Vatican Council’s liturgy. The second one was to restore numerous damaged original architectural elements and to eliminate the strange ones, which had been added in several unfortunate restorations over the years.
Regarding the first goal, the chapel was still set to celebrate the mass with the priest’s back facing the people, according to the tradition prior the Second Vatican Council. The pews, the altar and the pulpit were not original but provisory and strange elements. The original pavement was destroyed during the civil Spanish war when the chapel was used as a military garage. The lighting, electrical wiring and the audio system were also totally antagonistic to a landmark chapel from 1735. Finally, there was neither heating nor natural ventilation provided and therefore the humidity was damaging the precious paintings and the treasurable Valencian ceramic tiles on the walls. All these features where implemented within the restoration.
Regarding the second goal, the chapel was seriously damaged, and it was in the need of an urgent restoration. In this sense, the stuccos, the ceramic tiles, the gildings on the ceiling as well as the marble pavement were restored by specialized professionals under our coordination. The proposal also included an underfloor heating and cooling system and new automatic opening windows for ventilation control.